During this busy time of the year, are you looking for a quick nourishing dish, everyone can enjoy? Does your family a little treat?
Or perhaps, like me, you get so busy you don’t have time to make cheese or even yogurt and you wonder what to do with all the extra milk?
I make Easy, Creamy Baked Custard. It is nourishing enough for a light meal and sweet enough to be a treat. Some of us might even let our children have this for breakfast. Trust me, it’s a lot more nourishing than most conventional cereals.
With a few simple ingredients: fresh eggs and milk from happy, pasture raised animals, vanilla along with a little raw, unrefined sugar you can whip this up in just a few minutes.
Heat the milk to “scald” then let it cool. Whisk in the eggs, sugar and vanilla. Bake until done and you’re good to go.
It takes about 10 minutes to put together, about 45 minutes to bake. Make it easy on yourself, put it together and go relax while it bakes!
Easy, Creamy Baked Custard
Quick and easy, what more can you ask for? Nourishing? Oh, yeah, it's that too!
- Heat milk until bubbles form around the pan, remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Whisk together eggs, sugar and sea salt.
- Slowly add cooled milk and vanilla.
- Carefully pour into 6, 5 ounce custard cups (like this) *
- Set in shallow baking pan on oven rack.
- Pour hot water into pan, 1" deep.
- Bake at 325* for approximately 4 - 45 minutes or until a knife inserted comes out clean.
- Serve warm or chilled.
*You can use a large 1-quart baking dish if you prefer, bake approximately 60 minutes.