During this time of the year, can you get enough asparagus recipes? I don’t think so. This recipe was given to me by a friend from work. Thanks Mary Reeves.
This could be used as a light main dish for busy summer days or as a side dish. Whichever way you serve it; it is delicious!
Begin by gathering your ingredients: asparagus, olive oil, pancetta, leeks and sea salt & peppercorns.
While heating the pancetta on moderately low heat, steam the asparagus until tender 6-8 minutes. When the pancetta is almost crisp add the leeks and saute’ until softened.
When the asparagus is tender, add to the pancetta and leeks. Toss with sea salt and fresh ground peppercorns. Transfer to a serving dish and serve immediately. Yum!
Here it is shown served with Roast Chicken and Mango Salsa.
Asparagus with Leeks & Pancetta
Yield: 6 servings (as side dish)
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 7-10 min
Total Time: 20 min
Fresh tender asparagus tossed together with crispy pancetta and leeks makes a wonderful main entre' or delicious side dish. Ready in just a few minutes, this is a welcome treat after a busy day.
- 2 lbs. asparagus
- 1-2 TBLS extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 ounces thinly sliced pancetta, unrolled and cut into 1" pieces
- 1 cup thinly sliced leek, white and pale green parts only
- Sea Salt ( source)
- Freshly ground black peppercorn to taste
- Break asparagus at the point where the spear becomes tough; discard the tough end and cut remaining spear into 1" pieces or leave intact.
- Steam the asparagus until tender (approximately 6-8 minutes)
- While asparagus is steaming, cook the pancetta in a large iron skillet over moderately low heat with the extra-virgin olive oil until the pancetta is almost crisp, add the leeks and saute' until softened.
- When the asparagus is tender; add to the pancetta and leek mixture, season with the sea salt and pepper to taste and toss well.
- Serve immediately.