Chicken Nuggets with Curry
We’re getting ready for a road trip and we learned a long time ago, we don’t like being at the mercy of the fast food restaurants along the way. We like to take a picnic lunch even when it is really really cold out ~ like this week
Now these little guys are best fresh out of the cast iron skillet but they are very good cold too. I’m not sure what will be going along with them; probably a thermos of hot soup of some sort. We’ll do these chicken nuggets and when we know what’s going with them, we’ll talk about that then!
Double or triple this recipe if you need to for your family or you want to have extra for later. If you like you can serve these with a honey mustard sauce or ranch dressing. If your family prefers other seasonings, feel free to change these up. We like the little kick the curry seasoning mix gives but that doesn’t mean you will!
What you’ll need: (Do I need to remind you to use the best quality pasture raised chicken you can find along with as many organic ingredients as possible?)
Cut the chicken pieces into desired sized pieces. Place in a single layer in a dish that has a tight fitting lid. Cover with milk. Sprinkle with flour and seasonings. Place lid on dish and put in refrigerator over night.
Heat large cast iron skillet over medium high heat and melt coconut oil in it. Oops, I guess you can’t see the melted coconut oil. But these are the pieces of chicken after being in the fridge overnight and drained as best I could without messing up the seasonings.
Add the chicken pieces to the skillet being careful not to crowd them. I do love my cast iron skillets and don’t think I could cook without them!
When chicken pieces are browned, turn and continue frying until chicken nuggets are the desired crispness.
Remove from skillet and place on serving dish or container for taking on picnic. Remember, that’s what got this post going in the first place!
Ok, you’ve got to do it. Take a taste, see if it is seasoned to your liking and try not to eat them all.
Yum! Homestyle Chicken Nuggets
Chicken Nuggets with Curry
- 2 - 3 chicken breasts
- whole milk to cover
- 2 TBLS flour
- 1/2 tsp curry seasoning mix or to taste
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- you may include any seasonings your family enjoys
- 3 - 4 TBLS coconut oil, enough to fry chicken nuggets
- Begin by cutting chicken into desired size pieces.
- Lay in flat dish and cover with milk but don't drown.
- Sprinkle with flour, curry seasoning mix, paprika, sea salt and pepper.
- Place lid on dish and refrigerate over-night.
- When ready to cook, heat large cast iron skillet over medium heat and melt coconut oil.
- Let each individual piece of chicken drain as you remove them one at a time from its milk and flour bath.
- Place them in hot skillet being careful not to crowd.
- When they are browned, usually about 3 minutes, turn.
- When they are golden brown on both sides, remove from skillet and let drain on rack or paper towels.